With the aim of facilitating free treatment of underpriviledged patients suffering from health conditions such as diabetes and osteoporosis, SBI Capital Markets Limited (SBICAP), leading domestic investment bank on March 21, 2015 donated Rs.1 crore to the Hirabai Cowasji Jehangir Medical Research Institute (HCJMRI). Abhay Chaudhari, President and COO, SBICAP handed over the donation amount, according to a media statement issued by SBI Capital Markets.
From (L-R): Abhay Chaudhari, President & COO, SBI Capital Markets Limited (second left ) hands over Rs 1 crore cheque to Dr. Sir Cowasji Jehangir, Chairman, HCJMRI (Extrem Right) and Dr Anuradha Khadilkar, Deputy Director HCJMRI (extreme left).
SBICAP has a committed CSR policy in place and endeavours to help reach out to various support groups that may require its time, finances or mobilisation strength. Especially with a focus on healthcare and sanitation, SBICAP has been actively pursuing and endorsing community improvement efforts in varying capacities across India with several other Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives since its inception in 1986.
Rajnish Kumar MD and CEO from SBI Capital Markets said: “In partnership with HCJMRI, the company has pledged a support of Rs 1 crore. Of this, 60% will be used for facilitating the diagnosis of Osteoporosis (free of charge) for underprivileged people using the Bone densitometer, which is a machine used for measuring bone density. The remaining 40% will be spent for treating around 100 children with diabetes.”
Dr Anuradha Khadilkar, Deputy Director HCJMRI said: “We are thankful to SBICAP for the financial assistance that will help us provide support to around 100 affected children and families with diabetes. The clinic is specially operational for children on 2nd and 4th Saturdays of every month to treat children with diabetes; funding from SBICAP will help us in giving children insulin injections, glucometers and strips for testing, medical consultations, and yearly tests for complications, medications and other support as required.”
Sir Cowasji Jehangir, Chairman, HCJMRI pointed out: “We aim to support underprivileged children with diabetes so that they can live a happy and fruitful life like any other normal child. The Hospital, emphasised that the hospital would like to reach out and assist as many needy people as is possible through such programmes.
The function was also attended by Mr Abhay Chaudhari – President & COO, SBICAP; Partha Pratim Sengupta GM MCRO, State Bank of India and trustees, heads of departments and members of ethics committee of the Jehangir Hospital and HCJMRI, as well as by children with diabetes and their parents.
Other than supporting the juvenile diabetics at the HCJMRI in Pune, SBICAP has contributed to various causes namely, for children suffering from cancer at the Cancer Institute (WIA) of Chennai, and national calamities such as the Uttarakhand floods.
SBI Capital Markets is India’s largest domestic Investment Bank, began its operations in August 1986 and is a wholly owned subsidiary and investment banking arm of State Bank of India (SBI), the largest commercial bank in India. SBICAP offers the entire bouquet of investment banking and corporate advisory services. The service bouquet includes the full range of financial advisory services under one umbrella covering Project Advisory and Loan Syndication, Structured Debt Placement, Capital Markets, Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity and Stressed Assets Resolution. SBICAP is a global leader in the area of Project Loan Syndication and has lent crucial support to the Indian infrastructure sector. Headquartered in Mumbai, SBICAP has 6 regional offices across India (New Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Hyderabad), 2 branch offices (Pune and Guwahati) and 5 subsidiaries – SBICAP Securities Limited, SBICAP Trustee Company Limited, SBICAP Ventures Limited, SBICAP (UK) Limited and SBICAP (Singapore) Limited.
The Hirabai Cowasji Jehangir Medical Research Institute, is a sister concern of Jehangir hospital, Pune, and has been involved in health related programmes for the last 18 years. The HCJMRI) is recognised by the Directorate of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Government of India as a centre for multi- disciplinary research in various branches of basic
and applied clinical research and has earned status as a Scientific Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) from the DSIR, New Delhi. The institute, which is a charitable trust, has extensively worked with children under 5 years, children with diabetes, growing girls and women from urban slums and villages to help improve their quality of life. Other areas of work include HIV, cervical cancer, Maternal and Child Health, Osteoporosis and Bone Health and Infectious Diseases. The HCJMRI has a 35 (i) (ii) tax exemption certificate, thus 200% tax exemption can be availed on all donations by corporates.